Lambda Chi Alpha Timeline of milestones.
- -Warren A. cole and two other law students founded Alpha Zeta of
Lambda Chi Alpha at Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts.
- -First ritualistic initiation.
- -Lambda Chi Alpha becomes a national fraternity with the
installation of the second, third, fourth, and fifth chapters.
- -The Second General Assembly proclaimed the ideals of Lambda Chi
Alpha by adopting the Fraternity's secret mottoes and approving
revisions to the
Initiation Ritual, coat of arms, and badge. The date of the General
Assembly, March 22, 1913, and its achievements are celebrated annually as
- -Lambda Chi Alpha's first magazine, the Purple, Green, and
Gold, was published.
-The present Initiation Ritual adopted by the Third General Assembly.
-Lambda Chi Alpha joins the National Interfraternity Conference.
- -Zeta Zephyr, the first chapter publication, published by Zeta
at Penn State.
- -First inter-chapter meeting (now Leadership Conclave) held in
- -Twenty-five hundred Lambda Chis (90 percent of the membership) in
military service during World War I.
- -Central office opened at Kingston, Pennsylvania, and later moved to
-First full-time salaried Administrative Secretary hired.
- -Delegates from 11 local societies conbened at Springfield,
Missouri, and formed Theta Kappa Nu.
-First full-time salaried Traveling Secretary employed to devote full
time to chapter visitation.
-Charter granted to the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- -The first edition of The Paedagogus published.
-Theta Kappa Nu awarded its first graduate scholarship.
- -Lambda Chi Alpha becomes an international fraternity with the
installation of Epsilon-Epsilon at the University of Toronto.
- -The practice of hazing is roundly condemned by Lambda Chi Alpha.
- -First members inducted into the Order of Merit.
- -The union of Theta Kappa Nu and Lambda Chi Alpha increases the
chapter roll from 78 to 106 and the membership from 20,000 to 27,000.
- -Lambda Chi Alpha purchase first headquartes building.
- -An extimated 12,000 members serve in the armed forces during World
War II. Many chapters are inactive dur to military service.
- -John E. Mason Memorial Foundation (now Lambda Chi Alpha
Educational Foundation, Inc.) created.
- -First Management Training Seminar (now Leadership Seminar) held at
Wittenberg College in Springfield, Ohio.
- -The position of Chapter Service Secretary (now Director of Chapter
-The Annual Loyalty Fund campaign is established as a means for alumni
to support the Fraternity beyond their college days.
- -Fiftieth anniversary rededication ceremonies held.
- -First members inducted into the Order of Achievement and Order of
- -Upsilon at Louisiana State University becomes the first chapter to
intitiate 1,000 members.
- -Lambda Chi Alpha initiates its 100,000th member, the fifth
fraternity to do so.
- -The concept of fraternity education replaces pledge education.
-First Regional High Pi Conference (now Alumni Leadership Conference)
- -First meeting of the Student Advisory Committee held, and the
first undergraduate member elected to the Grand High Zeta.
-Linn C. Lightner retires after 50 years of service as Editor of the
Cross & Crescent, the longest editorship in the fraternity
- -The term "associate member" replaces the term "pledge" in Lambda
- -The first Grand High Alpha Awards and Phoenix Awards presented.
- -The new International Headquarters Building opens in northwest
- -The Standards for Chapter Excellence introduced at the
Leadership Seminar at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana.
- -Numerous Founders Day and other commemorative events conducted in
celebration of Lambda Chi Alpha's seventy-fifth anniversary.
- -A Resolution on Alcoholic Bevarages adopted by the 42nd General
Assembly that prohibits chapter from purchasing or providing alcohol.
- -George W. Spasyk retires as Executive Vice President following 40
years of service on the Administrative Staff.
-The position of High Iota(risk manager) adopted by the 43rd General
Assembly, the first fraternity to create a risk management officer in
-The 2.25 minimum grade point standard adopted by the 43rd General
- -Lambda Chi Alpha iniates its 200,000th member, the third
fraternity to do so.
- -Omega at Auburn University becomes the first chapter to initiate
-Lambda Chi Alpha sponsors the inaugural North American Food Drive, the
largest single-day fraternity philanthropic project, and raises more than
256,000 pounds of food for the hungry.
-The Lambda Chi Alpha Educational Foundation of Canada
Back to UW home page.